Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In Memorium, Gustav Leonhardt









I last thought about Mr. Leonhardt a few days back, after reviewing my old treble viola da gamba parts to transcriptions of works by Josquin des Prez, Monteverdi, and J.S. Bach (informally performed under the late Bruce Hayes's father, who lent me the viola and who I helped, a bit on a few Saturday mornings, build a harpsichord, at the time of the student riots).

(Click on the second link below for a typical Leonhardt program listing.)

While I heard Mr. Leonhardt perform, once or twice I believe, in Berkeley, I never met him (as I did, once, Luigi Dallapiccola, in Aspen, Colorado, in the summer of 1969, at about the time of the Moon Landing.)

New York Times Obituary

Photo credit: Via Wratislavia Cantans, Poland, European Union. Copyright controlled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home