[Clickon image for enlargement.]– What do Washington arts institutions offer?
– How do they represent their offerings to the public?
– How do critics respond?The Arts in Our Capitol
Winter Quarter, 2011, UCDC, Room 317, 6:00-9:00, Thursdays (usually)
Instructor: Roger Reynolds (UCSD Music Department)
January 6*, 13*
January 20, The Arena Stage
February 11, [Friday] Library of Congress (daytime tour, through
February 24, Dancer Bill T. Jones, Kennedy Center
February 26, Museum Day (Saturday, daytime: National Gallery, Phillips
* @ UCDC
Note: There are nine scheduled events compensating for the fact that
several field trips are longer than the normal UCDC meetings.
6 January [Thursday]:
– Course Schedule
– The performing arts
– The visual arts
– Monuments of Washington
– Libraries in Washington
– Course Aims
13 January [Thursday]
Discussion of US Performing Arts Centers:
– Survey of Performing Arts Centers in the US: Lincoln
Center (New York), Music
Center (Los Angeles), Krannert Center (University of
Illinois), Kennedy Center
– Mission and Programming of the Kennedy Center,
– Publicity compared with newspaper and internet reviews.
– “Arts in Crisis: A Kennedy Center Initiative” initiative
aimed at assisting
performing arts centers throughout the country.continuation
The Kennedy Center's new "Opera Conservatory Project" begins in Fall 2011.
Photo credit: Huma Temple
, Orissi, India
, by Chinmay Kumar Hota
Via Wikipedia. With thanks.