Monday, August 18, 2008

University Of California Berkeley Music Composition Rebuilds From Tragedy By Hiring Students Of Gerard Grisey And Sir Harrison Birtwistle (And Others)

This autumn, younger composers Franck Bedrossian and Ken Ueno are joining Edmund Champion, Cindy Cox, and David Wessel as composers on the Music Department faculty of the University of California at Berkeley.

There will be no Visiting Ernest Bloch Lecturer in music, at Berkeley, in the Fall of 2008.




















[Click on images for enlargements.]

Jean Gray Hargrove Music Library, University of California, Berkeley.

Today the library holds autograph scores of Sir Arthur Bliss, Ernest Bloch, Luigi Dallapiccola, Darius Milhaud, Roger Sessions, and Randall Thompson, among many others. There are countless Ernest Bloch letters and the files of the WPA's California Folk Music Project.

Photo credit: Copyright © 2008 The Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved. Ernest Bloch's 'Macbeth', by Alex Cohen © 1938 Oxford University Press.


*

Voices in the Wilderness: Six American Neo-Romantic Composers [including Bloch], by Walter Simmons. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2004.

First in a series of six studies which will also cover American neo-classicists, American opera composers, American nationalists and populists, three traditionalists of the Juilliard School, and American traditionalists of the post-1930 generation.

4 Comments:

Blogger davidcoll said...

there will be a regents lecturer, yan maresz...very worth checking out.
best,
david coll

12:06 PM  
Blogger Garth Trinkl said...

Thanks David. I'll check it out as soon as I find time.

I actually thought about you briefly yesterday, as I was thinking about the 1750 Arch Street concert (piano, harpsichord, computer) from a year and a half ago.

Two weeks back, I ran into a Lachenmann devotee in Moe's (named Cory)who was between composition graduate studies and fairly new to Berkeley and who wasn't aware of CNMAT. (He was quite excited about Mills.)

I hope Paris is great.

Best,

Garth

5:49 AM  
Blogger davidcoll said...

oh, and of course i was at jorge's memorial concert yesterday..it was a really positive event, it was nice to see everybody remembering him and hearing his music all in good spirits...well, in as good spirits as you can expect

10:02 PM  
Blogger Garth Trinkl said...

I was thinking that you might have concluded your Paris Fellowship interlude, David, but I wasn't sure ...

Thank you for mentioning your attendance at the Jorge Liderman memorial on Sunday, and mentioning that it was a positive event. It looked very thoughtfully prepared.

I had meant to listen to the new Bridge Jorge Liderman chamber orchestra CD that afternoon, of which I found a review copy at my used CD store here, but I was tied up listening to choral works -- up through Webern and Stravinsky's Cantatas and didn't fit it in. I will soon. (Liderman and Gerald Levinson' 2005 chamber disc are at the top of my 'to hear' list ...).

I found the SFCP review of the Yan Maresz Sextet from 2007, and it sounded really exciting! Thanks for mentioning him.

Feel free, David, to link. I am honored. And while I don't myself link, I'd be happy to feature a post by you (or I could highlight insights from you since you have your own blog. Just give me direction to special thoughts on your part).

Best,

G.

PS. See you in Berkeley later in Fall or in Winter.

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home