Monday, April 17, 2006

Minsk, Belarus To Host UNESCO-Sponsored World Folklore Conference In July 2009

Minsk to host UNESCO-sponsored international conference in July 2009

"An international scientific conference "World Folklore Legacy: Past, Present, Future" under the auspices of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization will take place in Minsk in July 2009. The information was released by Alexander Morozov, Slavonic studies department head of the National Science Academy's art history, ethnography, and folklore institute at today's press conference dedicated to the International Day for Monuments and Sites. The decision was taken by the UNESCO's folk song commission.

According to the source, applications to host the conference were filed by Belarus, Holland, and England. Belarus proposal turned out to be the most interesting one. "If our application was turned down, Belarus would be able to host such a conference as early as 2011 at the outside", said Alexander Morozov.

Directors of research institutes, leading scientists take part in this international conference under the auspices of UNESCO.

In July 2009 representatives of Romania, Great Britain, Germany, France, Belgium, the USA, Australia, Japan and several other countries are expected to come to Belarus."

Belarus Telegraph [State] Agency "Minsk to host UNESCO-sponsored international conference in July 2009" April 13, 2006

Mir, Belarus.

Belarus's second UNESCO World Heritage Site:

"Mir is a town settlement in Grodno Region. The first mention about it dates back to 1345. It is famous its outstanding work of art of the Belarussian stone architecture - ancient castle, founded at the beginning of the 16th century by the prince Yuri Ilyinich.

When N. Radzivill-Sirotka became the owner of Mir in 1568 the castle was completed. The residence of the magnate - rich palace was protected behind the fortress walls with towers, surrounded by ground banks with bastions and a pond. The Gothic style prevails in the architecture of the castle The features of Renaissance are observed in the scenes and the forms of the palace part and in the Eastern towers. Re-built up to three stores in its time, the palace had about 40 rooms, decorated with marble, with luxurious inner decorations. Nothing has been preserved up to now days: the castle was conquered not once. As Mir itself, it was burnt, rebuilt, destroyed many times. During the invasion of Napoleon the palace was burnt, the tower was exploded the fortifications was destroyed too much. After 1812 a part of the Eastern wing of the palace was reconstructed and three towers were restored.

At the end of the 19th century the palace-park ensemble with variety of wood plants and the large pond with an island were formed. In 1904 the chapel-strewer of the princes Svyatopolk-Mirskys was included to the composition of the ensemble. It is an original construction with the beautiful mosaic panel. The ruinous wars and social shakes of the last historical period brought much losses to Mir.

When N. Radzivill-Sirotka was the owner of Mir, it was the period of flourishing for it: Troitski (Trinity) Church was given to the town.(It was re-built after the fair in 1865.); Farny Church of Nikilay Chudotvorets was erected from wood, and soon from the brick (rebuilt in 1970); also other beautiful constructions were built in the town square.

From 1978 up to our days the monument has being reconstructed."

Text credit: Belintourist With thanks.

Photo credit: With thanks.


Post a Comment

<< Home