Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Lost: The Quartet, The Earthquake, And The Trio



Franz Joseph Haydn (1732 – 1809)

Die Sieben letzten Worte unseres Erlösers am Kreuze (1785)
(The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross)


Introduzione
Father, forgive them for they know not what they do
Verily I say unto thee: today shalt thou be with me in paradise
Woman, behold thy son! and thou, behold thy mother!
My God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?
I thirst
It is finished
Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit
The earthquake

Sofia Gubaidulina (b. 1931)

String Trio (1988)


Three movements without titles

Sofia Gubaidulina wrote the String Trio of 1988 for the Moscow String Quartet. The work was commissioned by Radio France and is dedicated to the memory of Boris Pasternak.

The Moscow String Quartet performed today at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., at noon. The concert was free of charge.

Header image credit: © 2009 Virgin Media. All Rights Reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home